Biblical Womanhood From Alabama to Kenya

For many years, I have taught Bible to women. It was during those years that God directed me to enroll at New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary and pursue certification in Women's Ministry. I recently finished that certification with the completion of a project entitled Biblical Direction In A Woman's World of Choice. I thoroughly enjoyed researching Biblical Womanhood and was blessed by a group of young moms who traveled with me through the scriptures. We wrestled with some tough issues and reevaluated some life choices that are commonly accepted without question today. We took all questions to the Word of God. God reminded us over and over again that the tremendous love He had for us when He planned for us and created us as women is still as strong as it was then. God who is sovereign knows all, sees all, and can be trusted. His ways are perfect.


Little did I know that in only a few months I would have the opportunity to teach some of those same biblical truths to women in Kenya. When I accepted the assignment to go on the mission trip I did not know what kind of ministry God had planned for us but I was thrilled when I learned there may be an opportunity to minister to women. Not long after that, we then got word that some ladies had requested a Saturday seminar and my excitement increased. So why was I still surprised when one of the ladies at the orphanage sent a list of questions they wanted addressed that could have come from my group of young moms? They were grappling with the same Biblical Womanhood issues. No matter what the language, the economic climate, the culture, or what side of the world we live on, women are still women.

On the outside, the issues that tug at Kenyan women may look different from those that nag us, but at the core they are the same. The good news is that Jesus is also the same. He is the same from Alabama to Kenya. He is the same yesterday, today and forever. He has the answers we seek and at a time when we are confronted with more choices than in the history of women, He offers us biblical direction.

At one point, I stood before the women with my right hand reaching up and my left hand reaching down in an attempt to illustrate Titus 2. I've done that many times. This time I watched in awe as I saw that scripture coming to life before me. We had moved into a question and answer time and the women who said they had previously not even met together for encouragement, transitioned from asking us questions to answering questions for each other. Maybe I could see it because I didn't understand the language and wasn't caught up in the discussion, or maybe it was just because God wanted to bless me with a visual I will never forget. Either way, my heart was full. I love that God understands women. I love that He loves us just as we are, as women. I am glad that I am a woman and He is my God!

The seminar scheduled for ten o'clock until three o'clock finished sometime after five. Isn't that just like women?

Comments