Life With No Margins

When I begin a new document, I start with minimum but equal margins and full justification. Can you picture the page full of print? God has been speaking to me lately about that page. In some ways it is a picture of the life of today's woman. The page holds obligations, commitments, and other time eating activities. Most of them are good. Still, the page is full!

On the best of days, life runs smoothly as scheduled. People and activities move in and out on cue. We finish the day with satisfaction and a sense of completion.  However,  if any one unexpected thing is added, or if something happens to alter what is already there, life begins slipping off the page. We frantically try to find more time in what we know is an already full, finite, twenty-four hour day. Sleep becomes the sacrifice.

The world has told us we can do it all and just like Eve, we have swallowed that apple. Watch this retro-commercial from the late seventies. It is one of those that settled into the minds of many of us, subtly leading us down a path of deception and false guilt. This was not the only messenger, but it was an effective one. I still know the words but did not remember the product.



What a cruel lie! No wonder our page is so full. (Click here for the entire song.)

We need nice, wide margins. Margins big enough for rest, big enough for God, and big enough to allow for detours. God never meant for us to do it all. He has a plan for each one of us and it fits nicely just inside proper margins.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thanks, Marilyn -- I can really identify with this one! I'm thinking I also need to double-space the lines, so God has room to edit my story and make it more according to His plan!
Marilyn said…
Oh Leslie - good addition! I like that!
Anonymous said…
Well the advertisement was partially truthful ... The 8-hour perfume is for the 24 hour woman!! It would take the full 24 hours to do everything every day.
Thanks for the talk about proper margins. I need to change things up a bit. I feel like I am doing more than Jesus ask me to. A little space between the lines is a good plan.
Marilyn said…
Me too Heather!