To The Parents of My Grandchildren


Dear child, I was your mother long before I was this child’s grandmother. We have gone on a long and wonderful journey together. From the first time I held you in my arms, you have been stretching for your independence. I cheered you on as you took each monumental step and helped you establish ownership of your life. As you pushed me away with one hand, you pulled me close with the other until as we found the delicate balance between your need for both my affirmation and my respect of your boundaries.


Now you have a journey of your own. You have the privilege and responsibility of pouring your life into your little ones as I poured my life into you. They too, are already stretching for independence and as you help them establish ownership of their lives, I am still cheering you on with each monumental step. My joy for you is only exceeded by my pride in you as you embrace the responsibility. I am Nana, but I am and will always be your mother, the roll I cherished first.


I love you.

Comments