It's the Coming and Going

I have lived in
Montgomery, Alabama,
Topeka, Kansas,
Amarillo, Texas,
Vancouver, Washington,
Yakoto, Japan,
Dover, Delaware,
Prattville, Alabama,
Columbus, Mississippi,
Wellington, Alabama,
Jacksonville, Alabama
Anniston, Alabama,
back to Montgomery, Alabama,
Gadsden, Alabama,
and now Birmingham, Alabama.

Every time I move my heart breaks for the friendships I have to leave. We always say we will keep in touch but the truth is life carries us on to the busyness of the day and all that screams to be handled in the immediate present. Last week I was reminded of the hope that friendships remain.

I had lunch with my dear friend Judy from JSU. She was in town with her husband and we took a couple of hours to catch up. I didn't know Judy well until not long before I left JSU but my spirit bore witness with hers and I will always cherish her friendship.

Then I spent the afternoon with Susan, my roommate from Mississippi State. Susan and I lived together, were in each other's weddings and shared a lot of memories from our young adult life. Even though she lives in Birmingham, it has probably been twenty years since I have seen Susan. I believe God was the author of our friendship and I have treasured it for all these years.

I believe those real heart friendships will always remain in our hearts. Then, when we have the opportunity to connect again in person after only a year or twenty years . . . what a sweet familiar fellowship it is!

I thank God for my sweet friends! I praise Him through all the coming and going. I wouldn't have missed even one of the precious ladies with which He has allowed me share friendship. Forever friends! I love you!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I feel honored to be on your blog - but more honored to be your friend!

Judy
Anonymous said…
The first part of your entry sounds like the makings of a country song(!)

Below is a verse from an old greeting card I rec'd in 1982, while we were in the midst of our many moves. I plan to put it on my blog later, but thought you might appreciate what it says:

LIFE IS PEOPLE AND PLACES
OLD AND NEW...
TO BE DISCOVERED
AND TO COME HOME TO.

Leslie S. :)